Saturday, March 28, 2009

Where's the aspirin?

Seems like an easy question to answer, but I was instantly suspicious, and asked, "Is it for you?" The reply was "yes," and I was instantly on a campaign to save this person from aspirin! I could tell by looking that he was young, and by asking that he had no risk factors, and no significant family history--you know the drill--I needed to prove that his taking aspirin every day was a BAD idea. So I explained the latest USPTF aspirin guidelines and gave the person a copy, which we reviewed together. He was convinced and left without a purchase. By intervening, I had helped spread the word that aspirin can do more harm than good, if not used properly, or under the advice and direction of a practitioner.

His parting comment was, "Thanks. I've never had a pharmacist take the time to talk with me like this before."