Friday, July 24, 2009

The "Drug Info Pharmacy"

What a weekend! With a job in community pharmacy, who needs a residency? Last weekend, I worked at a certain store, and the questions were amazing! Here is a sample:

"What about probiotics for a 6-month old with diarrhea?"

"What about colace solution in the ear to loosen ear wax?"

"I think I'm anemic because I had a bypass surgery on my heart 3 months ago, and I want to take some iron; what should I take?"

"I am looking for retinol cream to prevent skin cancer. My friend said you have it here, but I don't know what it's called..."

"I have an immune deficiency, and I'm wondering if this lotion will really do anything to lessen my dark, patchy, itchy spots all over my upper body that I've had for the last year, and nothing has worked so far."

"What is an equivalent dose of Dilaudid to Tylenol #3 for back pain?"

"I don't get my drugs here, but I got home with a prescription for Diflucan for my yeast infection, and I read it shouldn't be taken with omeprazole. What's the danger? Should I use these vaginal suppositories instead, because I have a serious stomach condition, which is why I take the omeprazole?"

"My doctor said I have a urinary tract infection, and then two days later, I got a message that I have a yeast infection! What is happening? Do I really need this medicine? Why didn't they tell me when I was there? Can my husband get this from me if we have sex?"

If these questions weren't enough, we had a very sad situation in the afternoon on Sunday when a seizure occurred in our store. Thank God the employee was in the back room when it happened. When they came running for help, the training just came right back to me... as we were calling 911... keep the area clear of obstacles, and the seizure should only last a minute or two, no objects in the mouth, and if possible, keep her turned so that she doesn't aspirate anything down her throat... she's in the hospital now, awaiting brain surgery for two large tumors on her brain this Friday! How sad! Lots of people are praying she has a full recovery!

Not bad for my second weekend working solo as a licensed community pharmacist?