Sunday, April 25, 2010

"Well, if I would have known that..."

Imagine going to the pharmacy and believing that the pharmacist had, without your permission or your physician's, switched your medicine to something lower quality, inferior clinically, different from your regular medicine, and all because it was "cheaper." Well, Mr. Jones called me for a price check, and that's the story I got. The more I listened, the more I realized that he didn't understand the "generic" they tried to give him was the exact same thing.

After I explained the situation, Mr. Jones said, well, no one ever told me that; I had no idea they were giving me the exact same thing. He told me that he was profoundly grateful to have this new information, since he had no idea how he was going to afford his medicine when insurance no longer covered it, because of the preference for the generic.

Just like that, a new believer in generic medicines was born. It was truly an epiphany. The things we take for granted--you can't even assume someone knows what a generic medicine is--wow! We must continue to spread the word, and not assume ANYTHING.